Saturday, April 25, 2009

April 23 – 24 SFO To Rome

So here I am in Rome, at least in the outskirts. I am staying at a Holiday Inn of all things. Not exactly an Italian experience, but it is convenient between the airport an the city. It has a shuttle both to the airport and to the city. I was about 10 minutes late to catch it from the airport so I took a taxi instead. It cost me 30 Euros, but it was worth it. My room is a typical Holiday Inn room – two queen-sized beds and a plastic bathroom. It is clean and quiet, and the staff is very friendly.

My flight from SFO seemed to be a lot faster this time. Maybe it was because of the three movies that I watched – one about Ernie Davis, the football player, a James Bond thriller, and one about David Frost’s interview with Richard Nixon. We can cross these off of our Netflix queue. I got lots of walking exercise in the Frankfurt airport getting to my gate and waiting around for the Rome leg to leave. The flights were on time and reasonably smooth although there were some rough spots especially coming in to Rome.

When I got to my room, I was very sleepy. I showered and walked around the grounds to get acclimated. Then I laid down on the bed to watch the news on CNN and BBC. I kept waking myself up. Dinner was at 7:30 in the hotel’s restaurant. I had an excellent shrimp pasta entree with a lemon and spinach sauce – Timballo di Tagliolini con salsa limone, spinaci e gamberi. It was really good.

Now I am back in my room with my teeth brushed and a couple of Tylenol PMs in my stomach. I anticipate a good night’s sleep to be ready for a Rome walking tour tomorrow.

No comments: