Sunday, August 9, 2009

20090806 – Juneau

My impression of Juneau is not positive. The few hours here did not let us get farther than downtown. The area around the cruise ship terminal is covered by jewelry and souvenir shops. The pier is lined with kiosks selling various tours. Ann, Ellen and I adventured as far as the capital and the governor’s house. The capital is a big building with no dome. I thought all capitals had domes. The governor’s house was impressive, though.

100_4568

100_4573

 

 

 

 

 

100_4566 The harbor had three other cruise ships in it besides ours. This meant that there were about 6,000 extra people in town. It was pretty crowded. The harbor itself is picturesque with steep hills on three sides. There are lots of day-tour boats and float planes.

After we walked around town, I tried the free internet at the library. It was way too slow to publish my blogs. The librarian suggested that I go to a cafe a few blocks away with a much faster internet connection. So I went there after lunch. All I had to do was buy a coffee and I could use the internet all day. Such a deal!

We had another “formal” dinner tonight. It was the last time I needed to put on my suit on this trip. It was worth it, though, because we had an excellent meal. Before the trip my weight was down and climbing hills on my bicycle was not so hard. I’ll have to lose the pounds I put on during the last week before Cycle Oregon or I’ll be in big trouble.

After dinner, we went to the auditorium to watch a show. It was an all-male revue of old songs. We loved it.

It’s now 10:00. The ship is sailing to Ketchikan where we meet Tom Benson tomorrow afternoon. We are going to bed.

No comments: