Sunday, May 30, 2010

20100530 – Riccione

Yesterday – May 29 – Riccione Country Loop

We were up at 6:00 and made it down to the breakfast buffet at 7:00. We had real food including fresh fruit and eggs – some protein to get us through the morning.

Our ride started at 8:30. I had to scurry around to find water bottles because I left mine at home. Because this is a bicycle hotel, I was able to get two of the hotel’s special bottles. After filling up with water, bananas and pinini piccolo, we were off.

The hotel supplies a cycling guide. Paolo led us out of town and 10 km into the hills. This meant that everyone had to ride as a group, very slow with lots of stops – a very frustrating experience for the faster riders.

100_6446 We finally broke into groups. I took the longer option led by Tom Leever. There were 7 of us and we went a lot faster. As we began a gradual climb into the hills, we passed cherry trees, fig trees and fields of corn that were beginning to sprout. There also were red poppies blooming in the fields. At one point, I stood up on a steep section and my rear cog skipped slightly. This was enough to cause my rear fender to move and clamp down on my rear wheel. Needless to say, it was a lot harder to pedal. So we stopped at a piazza in Morciano where I removed the fender and hid it in the branches of a small tree hoping that it would be there when I drove back later to fetch it.

The rest of the ride was uneventful except looking at the scenery from the ridge tops. It was warm and humid with threatening skies. I heard thunder once.

Tom and I stopped for a snack in Mercantino and then rode on to the hotel. I was a little faster on the hills than Tom, so I got ahead of him. This gave me the opportunity to get slightly lost coming into Riccione on the way to the hotel. Because the hotel is on the beach, all I had to do was ride toward the water and turn south to the hotel. I forged a new route.

Here is a link to today's route.

Back at the hotel, I took off my front fender which was loose and rubbing on the tire. I went up to the main floor where there was a buffet for cyclists – fruit, yogurt, cheese, pasta and some sweets. (All meals are included in our room rate).

100_6456 After showering, Ann and I walked through Riccione along the street of shops. We ended up at an outdoor mall where there were lots of upscale shops and restaurants. Hundreds of people were there beginning their Saturday night stroll.

When we got back to the hotel, they were serving light appetizers and prosecco. Then we went to dinner. The antipasti bar was again filled with lots of tempting selections. We both used caution and didn’t take as much as the night before. We wanted to enjoy the rest of our meal. I had a first course of ravioli while Ann had consommé. We both wanted pigeon for our main course, but there was none left. We settled on veal stew. The first and second courses have small portions so we don’t overstuff ourselves.

Dinner starts at 7:30 and lasts for two hours. That’s why it is hard to write this blog at the end of a very long day.

Today – May 30 – Riccione Loop to San Marino

000_0025 We had the breakfast buffet again this morning. Our ride start was at 8:30. Today’s loop was to the independent republic state of San Marino. Paolo met our group outside of the hotel and led us through the city. At the traffic circle near the yellow posts, we paused so that we could break the group by pace. Paolo led the faster group while the slower folks were on their own.

The first part of the ride retraced the end of yesterday’s route. Serious climbing began soon. Most of the grades were moderate but we had some that kicked up to 10% or more. I used my lowest gear in a few places.

000_0030 At the top of the climb, we reached San Marino. This is an independent republic surrounded by Italy. It’s been that way for several centuries after defending itself from various foes including the Vatican. San Marino is the oldest recorded sovereign state and constitutional republic in the world, having been founded on 3 September 301 by stonecutter Marinus of Rab. I locked my bicycle to a post and climbed up to San Marino’s highest point – a castle-like structure on the edge of a cliff. There was a long drop down. It made me dizzy.

I worked my way down to my bicycle passing many tourist shops and cafes. There were lots of visitors there. I stopped in a small cafe to get a refill of one of my water bottles. The lady that filled it was very nice and friendly. I also met three of my co-riders who were having cappuccino at a bar.

I left San Marino and began a rapid descent. I thought that I was following all of the cue sheet instructions, but I was going so fast, I missed one. I had to turn around and go back straight up the steep hill for a couple of kms. Back on route, I continued back to the hotel stopping once for a snack.

I showered, put on my shorts (it’s warm) and dropped my cycling clothes into the laundry bin. Our room rate includes washing our cycling clothes. We turn them in by 5:00 and they are hanging on our door before we go to bed. After that, I had a cyclist’s lunch. Ann showed up as I was eating. She and Carol drove up to San Marino. No beach time today, but she did take a swim in the hotel’s pool.

Here is a link to today's route.

So, after several glasses of vino rosso, I will finish today’s blog. (Did you know that Italian wines are missing the chemicals that USA wines have that give you headaches)?

We had a Happy Hour at 6:00. Tonight’s agenda was getting an Italian name from Julie and talking about our immediate family. We also had a route wrap about tomorrow’s ride.

Dinner at 7:30 had the usual antipasti bar. For our first course, I had pasta with clams. Ann had cannelloni. Our main course was guinea hen. Dolce was a buffet of sweets and crepes.

It’s now 9:40 and we are getting ready for bed. Tomorrow we will be in a new hotel.

No comments: