Saturday, May 2, 2015

May 2 - Antequera to Ronda

Breakfast was at a restaurant next door to our hotel. It was very basic. Afterwards, Cindy and I got into the car with Martha and Barry and drove over to the Dolmens. Dating from 2500 - 1800 BC, these were used as burial chambers by prehistoric inhabitants. We were able to walk into a couple of chambers. They were lined by huge stones which supported other huge stones that acted as a roof. I was amazed that I could stand up inside the chambers without ducking.

We dropped Martha and Barry at our hotel. They skipped today's ride opting to take a bus and train to Ronda. Jane was riding her bicycle today, so Cindy and I were on our own. Our first stop was at El Torcal. This is an area of unusual rock formations. We walked on a very rocky nature trail for 1.5 km to get a better feeling for the area. It was good to get some real exercise, but the temperature was rising to an uncomfortable level.

Our next destination was El Charro Gorge. My GPS took us on a roundabout route, but we finally got there. Our first order of business was to have a wonderful lunch on a patio overlooking the start of the gorge. Then we proceeded to drive alongside the gorge while getting a good view of the hikers on the King's Walkway - a treacherous path that hangs from the cliff.

The roads go to and coming from the gorge were very narrow. We had to stop playing often for cars to pass is going in the other direction. It was a very hilly drive, too. When we reached the top of the last hill, we had wonderful views of the Three Reservoirs.

From there it was onward to Ronda. We missed one turn on the way to town, but the GPS took us on a more scenic route.

Our hotel is very nice. It is near the cliff overlooking the valley below. My room has a wonderful view. Ronda is famous for a very deep gorge that runs through it.

After Happy Hour, I walked to the gorge and the New Bridge which was built in the 18th century. I had gourmet tapas with Creg and Patti from Calgary. We didn't start eating until after 8:00. I am getting used to the meal times but I admit that the walk back to the hotel was good for my digestion.

It's now 10:30 and I am winding down.

 

No comments: