Saturday, August 15, 2015

Covered bridges, Dorena Lake, Rails-To-Trails Bikeway

I know a lot. I always suspected this but I wasn't reassured until I took a test on Facebook. I was rated at the Phd level. We all know how accurate these tests are. When one of my friends was rated at the Professor level, I was disappointed that my wealth of knowledge was not as rich as hers. I think that I forgot the capital city of one of the African nations. So today I added to my knowledge database.

Did you know that Oregon has 50 historic covered bridges which are among the greatest number in the U.S.? I saw four of them today on the first day of my bicycle tour with Via Bike Scenic Tours on an 8-day ride along the Oregon Coast and up to Crater Lake. My son, Jeff, is the founder of this company. We were far away from the coast today on a beautiful loop from Cottage Grove that circumvented Dorena Lake.

The first half of the ride was on a bicycle trail that followed an old railroad line. It was fairly flat with a gentle rise up to the dam that created the lake. It wandered through heavy fir and alder forests. We saw many other recreational cyclists along the way. They ranged from old like me to very young like my grandchildren were 10 years ago.

When we reached the end of the trail, we retraced our route for a couple miles and then took a main road to cycle back on the other side of the lake. There was only one climb. After reaching the top, we were rewarded with a long fast descent.

The weather was perfect. The sky was clear with only a trace of smoke from the many west coast fires. Temperatures ranged from the low 70s to the low 80s.

The four covered bridges that we saw were not on the heavily traveled roads. Three of them were blocked off from through traffic.

Appropriately, dinner tonight was at Stacy's Covered Bridge Cafe. Salmon and shrimp were our orders.

 

No comments: