Friday, May 22, 2009

20090520 – San Quirico to Montepulciano & Peinza

100_4034

Today was a loop ride from our hotel. It was another up and down route with a little twist. I started out after 6k visiting Bagno Vignoni, a village know since ancient times for its thermal springs. The main piazza is an enormous bath filled with hot water (it’s not possible to bathe there).

After that, I rode on until the turn to go up to Montepulciano where I stopped to do an adjustment to my bicycle. When I started out again, I saw our group screaming don the hill in the opposite direction. They yelled that the road was closed because a Hollywood film company was shooting some scenes on the road. So I turned around and followed. Fortunately, Tom and Julie were in the group to let us know what new roads to go on. We climbed up a long hill which is part of tomorrow’s route. 100_4037 Tom said to stop about 5k up the road in a parking lot for a photo op. So we did.

This photo shows Pete, me, Claudia, Barry, Mari and Larry. The viewpoint was opposite la Foce, one of the better known photo spots in Tuscany.

100_4040

100_4049 We continued up the hill to an intersection that pointed to Montepulciano to the left. We took this turn and were met by a 5k bumpy dirt road. We all made it safely, got back onto pavement and arrived in Montepulciano taking various routes into town but all meeting at Piazza Grande. I had my Rick Steves’ guidebook and began searching for various points of interest. I found Cantina Contucci, a winery with Adamo who has been making wine forever and welcomes tourists into his cellar.

I began to get hungry, so I found recommended Osteria Acquacheta. I ordered pici pasta with a lamb sauce and fresh asparagus. Both were good. The asparagus was cooked perfectly.

100_4054 Leaving Montepulciano, I rode along a ridge for a few kilometers and entered Pienza. This town is best know as the birthplace of Pope Pius II. He remodeled the town in a Renaissance style but never completed before he and his architect died. This is a photo of the 13th-century town hall.

The last leg of our route took us back to our hotel.

100_4068 Later in the afternoon, we went into old San Quirico and had a tour of an olive oil Factory. Ilaria Simonelli’s family has owned the factory, olive groves and vineyards for 300 years. For the oil, she uses the cold press method with much of the process done by hand. After a tour of her factory, she hosted a wine, olive oil and condiment tasting session.

Happy Hour was in a bar in the town where we had a route wrap for tomorrow’s ride. Because we rode part of the route today, Tom suggested some changes.

100_4071 Dinner was outdoors in the garden of Trattoria al Vecchio Forno. I had bruscheta, Chicked in a wine sauce and a small vegetable soufflé. While walking back to the hotel, we samples some gelato.

It’s now 10:15 and I’m ready for bed.

Daily Statistics

Miles Max Average Riding Time Elevation Gain Weather
37 35.7 10.9 3:23 2630 Sunny, 60’s to 90’s

No comments: