Friday, May 22, 2009

20090521 – San Quirico – Radicofani Loop

 

100_4072

Another day, another beautiful ride. Today’s loop went out to Radicofani, a small hilltop village. Julie had been talking about going to this village ever since our Umbria trip. She kept pointing out a flat mountain with a castle on top of it in the distance. So we rode up to it today. The climb was gentle and not very long – almost like Tunnel Road in Berkeley.

100_4080 When we got to the top, some of us walked or rode through the village. The main street was vertical. It and the side streets were old, well-maintained and charming. I bought a hand-made panino at a small store in the Piazza Teatro which is pictured on the right. Fresh bread with salami and pecarino cheese and a little olive oil. I ate it on the walk down to the village gate where our group congregated. I noticed that Julie was drinking juice made of oranges, lemons and carrots. I bought one, too, and it was very tasty. I poured half of it into my water bottle for the trip back to our hotel.

Five of us started the route back – Claudia, Julie, Barry, Neil and me. We had a nice downhill. Then we turned onto a dirt road for 5-6K. It was not as bad as the dirt road yesterday. It was smoother and had short stretches of pavement. This first section after Radicofani was on a ridge top, so we had great vista of the countryside on both sides of us.

Once we got onto permanent pavement, we had more downhill, a flat section of several kilometers and then a hot climb back to our hotel in San Quirico. I got back around 2:00.

After I cleaned up, I went to the hotel’s terrace and drank a beer with Mike. I took along my mix of salted peanuts and M&M’s to snack on. After that, I relaxed in my room and watched the end of the day’s Giro d’Italia time trial.

100_4084 Happy Hour was on the lawn next to the pool. We had a some extra treats today brought to the party by people on our tour. Stacie and Alan brought two kinds of pecarino cheese – one plain and one with peppers. Howard and Martha brought a melon and some chips. All of these were very tasty.

I had dinner tonight at a pizzeria with Tom, Julie and Jerry. Pizzerias in Italy have other food besides pizza. I had a mixed salad and pici pasta with olive oil, pecarino cheese and pepper. It was very good. We followed dinner with gelato at a bar behind the Coop (grocery store). We sat in the midst of a large group of local Italian men who were either playing cards or kibitzing the card players.

It’s now after 10:00 and I’m going to bed.

Daily Statistics

Miles Max Average Riding Time Elevation Gain Weather
44 36.2 11.6 3:45 2860 Sunny, 60’s to 90’s

No comments: