Saturday, May 21, 2011

BAC Florence to Elba– Day 2 Ride – Around Volterra

I wimped out today. I started riding with Matt, Tim and Jerry on a loop through San Gimignano. My legs felt a bit tired, my throat was sore and my stomach was complaining about the change in cuisine. So I rode as far as the mobile pork vendor and turned around. It was a short ride, but it was also a good workout. Here’s the link to today's ride.

Hal, Tom and Kathy at Lunch in Volterra

Back in Volterra, I cleaned up, did my internet thing and then went on a walk with Tom so we could preview the restaurants that Julie lined up for dinner. We stopped at one for pizza and were joined by Hal and Kathy who had just returned from their out-and-back ride. (They went a little farther than I did). That’s Hal, Tom and Kathy in the photo.

Roman Ruins in Volterra

After lunch I went with Hal and Kathy to the old Roman Theater. Then I wandered through the streets back to the hotel. While sitting in the lobby, I greeted the riders coming back from the San Gimignano loop. They were very hot and tired. I’m convinced that I made a good decision by cutting my ride short. The temperature in Volterra was very pleasant, but it was hot on the road.

Dinner tonight was in a very busy restaurant. We just got back to the hotel and it’s 10:00. I had a good meal, though. Grilled shell fish and a mixed salad.

No comments: