Saturday, June 11, 2011

Andalo to Bronzolo

Andalo to Bronzolo

We awoke to light rain. The day’s ride was to be short so we dallied at breakfast to see if the rain would let up. It didn’t. We left the hotel in a group around 9:30. I dressed for wet conditions. I wore a rain jacket, rain pants, rain gloves, and waterproof booties. I wrapped my queue sheet in a zip lock bag and put my camera in another waterproof bag.

For the first few kms we climbed over a ridge from Andalo. Then we had a nice downhill of nearly 3000 feet. I had to use my breaks a lot because of the wet road. This part of the ride was through a forest.

Once we got to the bottom of the hill, we were in an immense flat valley of vineyards and apple orchards. I lost contact with the other riders and got very confused with the route instructions. My GPS got me back on route but it then tried to send me other roads. Fortunately, I met Paul who kept me on track until I had to stop for a nature break. I was on my own again.

The queue sheet said to follow the bicycle route signs until I got to Stazzione in Ora. I rode on the trail for several kms. I was standing next to a trail intersection when my cell phone rang. It was Tom who told me that Ann was worried because I hadn’t shown up yet. He got me back on track. When I got to our hotel’s street, he and Julie waved me in the right direction. Ann was waiting next to the hotel and showed me in. It’s really nice to have such helpful support.

Because of the rain, I didn’t get my camera out very often.

Here is a link to today's ride.

After I stored my bicycle and took off my wet outer garments, Ann and I walked down the main street for lunch. She had a salad while I had the chef’s pizza – ham, asparagus, an egg sunny side up and a big glob of aioli. It was really good.

Ann took a swim in the hotel’s pool while I did my internet thing.

We had a group dinner that was pre-ordered – no choices. We started with pasta with a tomato and bacon sauce. Then we had a mixed grill – chicken, pork and beef. We also had some good peas, zucchini and baked tomatoes. Dessert was apple strudel.

No comments: