Thursday, June 2, 2011

Breakfast in Florence – Lunch in Fiesole

I am getting spoiled – sleeping until 8:00 and a casual breakfast with personal coffee service. I fooled the coffee lady this morning and ordered coffee Americano instead of cappuccino. That’s the extent of my non-conformity.

After breakfast I walked up to the Duomo and bought a couple of bus tickets. My intent was to catch the #7 bus there for Fiesole. I found that it only leaves from Piazza St Marco, so I trudged a few blocks to get there. June 2 is a major Italian holiday and the bus routes change slightly. Because of this, Piazza Signoria was crowded by dignitaries giving speeches, marching bands playing patriotic songs and several veterans groups marching to past memories.

Waiting for the bus at Piazza St Marco reminded me of a trip we made a few years ago to Italy with the Bensons and the Parkhursts. We stayed up the hill near Fiesole in Pensione Bencista and took the bus several times back and forth to Florence. I recognized the entrance on my way up.

Fiesole was settled by the Etruscans a few centuries ago well before the Romans settled in what is now Florence. The Etruscans were pretty smart because the summer breezes make the climate very pleasant. It wasn’t real hot in Florence this morning and the breeze made Fiesole very comfortable.

Florence from Fiesoli After I left the bus in the town square, I walked up a hilly street that Rick Steves recommended to see a panorama of Florence. (Yes, I’m still traveling with Rick’s guidebook). The view was fantastic but the haze was not good for photos as you can see.

Fiesole Nature Walk I walked further up the hill to a church where a wedding was going on. Not wanting to interfere, I found a trail leading to a forested area. This really is far away from the noise and congestion of Florence. The trail lead me back to the hill I just climbed and was soon was back in the town’s main square.

Fiesole - Trattoria i Polpa I was getting hungry now. I purposely did not pack a lunch today so I started looking for a restaurant that Rick recommended. I couldn’t find it. While searching, I was gazing at the menu of a small trattoria when a local woman looked at me and gave me the “thumbs up” to eat there. So I did. Trattoria i Polpa has a wonderful menu of local cuisine. I had Sforatino di Pecorino e Miele (bread-like baked pecorino cheese with honey) and Peppardelle alla Fiesole - Trattoria i Polpa Fiesolene (flat noodles with lots of mushrooms and prosciutto in a tomato sauce). I also drank a whole bottle of acqua frizzanti. This was the best meal I have eaten on the trip. It’s worth a side trip to Fiesole to go there again.

I took the #7 bus back to Piazza St Marco and walked back to the hotel. After cleaning up and resting, I hiked to the bus station next to the train station and caught a bus to the airport. That’s where I am right now waiting for Ann’s flight from Zurich.

Ann arrived and we are back in Florence. We’re going out for a gelato walk.

1 comment:

John McManus said...

In 2000, we spent 3 days in Fiesole - waiting for 3 of our 4 bags to arrive from Paris. The only bag which arrived with us contained one half of a tandem - not very useful.