Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Breakfast in Florence – Lunch in Lucca

There were some sprinkles as I left the hotel this morning. It was cooler than normal as I walked through the heart of Florence to the train station. I caught a train to Lucca shortly after 9:00. It had two levels. I sat in the upper level. The scenery to Lucca is not very interesting so I read some of my Kindle book as we headed west from Florence. It was a smooth 1 1/2 hours and cost me only 5.80 Euros.
Lucca - The City Wall I was traveling again with Rick Steves. He guided me from the train station to Porta San Pietro where I climbed up to the town wall and began walking a 2 1/2 mile circle. I should mention that the town is surrounded by this 16th century Renaissance wall. The wall is about 20 feet high and very wide. It used by strollers, joggers, cyclists dog walkers and many others. I made close to a full circuit taking photos of interesting sites. I stopped at a bench and ate the lunch that I packed. Today I had Schiacciatina with Barre di Arachidi and Confettura di Frutti di Bosco with Patatine Fritte, Banana and Grancereale Fave di Cacao.
Lucca - In the City I left the wall at Porta Elisa and headed into the center of town. Luca’s home owners built towers similar to those in San Gimignano. Most are no longer there. An exception is the Guinigi Tower which I walked past on my way to the old Roman Amphitheater. I discovered that it is no longer an amphitheater – it is a circular piazza lined by shops and cafes. It has a very lively atmosphere.
Rick took me out of the amphitheater and down the main pedestrian street named Via Fillungo. I should mention that these streets are not like main streets in the USA. They are very narrow, are paved with stones and are shared by pedestrians, bicycles and cars.
Lucca - In the City - Jewelry Store Rick had me stop and take photos of a classic old jewelry store with a rare storefront. He also had me stop at Di Simo Caffe where the artistic and intellectual elite hang out. Puccini tapped his toes here while drinking coffee.
Lucca - In the City My final scenic spot was Piazza San Michele. This square has been the center of town since the Roman times. It is dominated by Church of San Michele with the archangel Michael at the top of the Romanesque facade. I found that the really old buildings surrounding the square were more interesting. The oldest is from 1495.
I was tired from walking so I said good-bye to Rick and went back to the train station. A train to Florence pulled out as I was trying to find my ticket. No problem, though. There was another one in 35 minutes. I spent the ride back by dozing and reading.
It was warmer in Florence than in Lucca, but it was not the blazing heat from days before. I am getting good at directions and don’t have to use a map getting back to the hotel. It’s still a long walk from the train station.
For dinner tonight I had Riso Freddo Mare and Casarecce alla Genovese. For dessert I had torte di mele and creme gelato.

No comments: