Friday, May 30, 2014

Barolo Loop - May 30, 2014

We had a very basic breakfast buffet this morning. The highlight for me was the just-picked apricots. It reminded me of the Leavenworth area with its fruit trees ready to pick.

Our route today was short, very hilly, very warm and especially beautiful. We were riding past hundreds of vineyards. The photo above shows a little part of it. This is one of the reasons that I like to ride in Italy. Another reason is the food. 

Although I rode solo most of the day, I met up with some of our group from time-to-time. I was glad to see Jim and Shelee Brenneman after I made a wrong turn and had to backtrack. They were on the route just ahead of me when I was wondering if I was going the right direction. My wrong turn was not so bad because I was able to find a bar with caffee machiatto and chocolate pastry. I was bonking and needed an energy lift.

For lunch, several of us stopped at a cafe in Montforte d'Alba. I had some raviolinni stuffed with herbs and lightly dressed with a buttery sauce.

After lunch, five of us pace lined the 6km back to the hotel. Fun...

I got cleaned up, washed my cycling clothes, caught up on internet things and went on a search for gelato. Wandering through town, I discovered that Barolo is picturesque. There are a lot of cafés, shops, a large castle and an ATM. I found gelato too and sat with Jackie, Shelee and Jim at an outdoor table to eat it. I also discovered that Barolo was the end of this year's Giro d'Italia time trial. There is a lot of pink on banners, statues etc. in honor of the Maglia Rosa.

Our Happy Hour treat was wine tasting at our hotel's winery. Apparently it's Barolo wine is very well known for its quality. We toured the winery with the wine master who was very food in explaining where the vineyards are, how the vines are maintained (no chemicals and no irrigation).

I had dinner with Margie, Jackie, Deb and Sandy at La Cantinetta. Gnocchi with a tomato sauce along with chicken with cooked vegetables. I know that I should describe it better but I can't remember the Italian words. I didn't have any wine either.

It is time to get ready for bed. We leave for a new town tomorrow.

Buona Notte.

1 comment:

John McManus said...

Bob, it's neat that I can monitor your Italy tour while you observe mine. Enjoy.