Monday, May 26, 2014

Saluzzo Crissolo Loop - May 26, 2014

The Town Of Saluzzo (Not my photo).

I did not take any photos today. I was concentrating on riding. I substituted a photo that I found on the internet. It shows the town an the mountain behind it. We rode toward that mountain. 

Hotel Antico Podere Propano was a healthy buffet breakfast. The granola that I ate tasted home-made. There is fresh fruit and different kinds of bread. I don't remember anything filled with chocolate, but I will look again tomorrow. 

Bob and his Bay Area Babes left at 8:30 this morning. We were joined by Tim Presar, a BACer from Ohio that Margie and I know from precious rides. The first 15km was through the same flat farmland that we rode through yesterday. The next 25km was uphill along the origin of the Po River. We could see and hear the stream as we climbed a very steep (at times) 4000 feet of elevation gain. The road was narrow with a few spots of crumbling pavement which should be expected on a mountain road which has a lot of snow during the winter. There was not much traffic. We were among a forest of trees. There were blossoms of little red flowers at the side of the road and plants that Deb identified as wild strawberries. Lots of little brown slugs and some snails were trying to get to the other side of the road.

My bicycle got me to the top at the town of Crissolo, but I could have used about four more cogs in the cassette. I saw Ron Guidotti and Tim Presar and we had panini at a bar. There didn't appear to be anything else open. The town is near a small ski area so I think that visitors must be seasonal. This was not the right season.

On the screaming decent, I gradually rounded up the Bay Area Babes and we made it back the the city center of Saluzzo. I think that we might have found our own route because it didn't match the instructions on the route sheet. The important thing, though, was that we found a gelateria that was open. I had licorice, creme and zabaglione. The women went shopping after that while Ron and I headed back to our hotel.

After Happy Hour, it was raining and too wet to walk to town for dinner. Julie proposed that we order pizza. Jean, the hotel owner, was going to the grocery store so she got us plastic plates and salad mixings with wonderful tasting tomatoes. Julie pick up the pizza and we had a pizza party. Afterwards, Jean told us about the area the the history of the hotel. She also told us that the guard gander is a female who is best friends with the other goose who is nesting. No eggs are expected.

It is getting late so I am going to bed.

Buona Notte.

No comments: