Saturday, May 12, 2007

Mallorca Day 12


Saturday, May 12 - Last night's dinner was the farewell dinner for our group because one of the riders was leaving after today's ride. The dinner was held at Son Tomas - a restaurant up the street from the hotel. Typical of Spain, it started late. They conceded to us, though, and let us begin at 7:30. I had the house salad, fish ala Mallorca and chocolate cake with frozen yogurt. The fish was a thick white fish covered with kale, thin slices of leeks, tomato, raisins and pine nuts. It sat on slices of potatoes. It looks really good but it is a little bland. I've had fish cooked this way several times and have never been totally satisfied. The dinner was fun, though, and the wine flowed freely.

We were up this morning at 7:00, loaded our bags by 8:00 and ate breakfast again on the terrace overlooking the sea. I started riding around 8:45. The first few miles climbed up the same road I came in on the day before. At the top after the first turn, I heard some beautiful bird songs so I stopped and recorded them. I'll put the recording on our web site after I get home.

The rest of the ride was rollers and downhills. The weather was clear and the temperature got up to the 80's. I stopped in Algaida for cafe con leche and a banana. Some others in the group stopped there, too, and shared some of their bread and cheese that they bought at a farmers' market a few towns before. I missed the market. I was either off route or I had my eyes on the pavement. That little bit of nourishment held me until the end of the ride.

On the last several miles of the ride, I managed to misinterpret my GPS and the route sheet. It didn't matter, though, because I got to see more of the countryside. I also got to catch up to some of our group several times. They made the right turns. The GPS got me back on route more than once.

Five of us rode to the finca where we are staying. We had lots of trouble finding the sign for the turnoff, but after doubling back and asking directions, we finally found it at around 2:00. I immediately checked in and had a cerveza and a sandwich.

This finca is really rustic and not as nicely furnished as the places we staying in previously. I'm glad that I brought my own shampoo and soap. I am surprised and really pleased that even the remote, rural hotels have free internet connections (usually wireless) for their guests.

Daily statistics:
Max speed - 32.8
Time - 4:18
Average speed - 13.5
Miles - 58
Elevation - 1700

No comments: