Saturday, May 5, 2007

Mallorca Day 4


Friday, May 4 - We had the option to sleep in a little because of the short ride today and the hotel didn't serve breakfast until 8:00. We didn't do it, though, because we left the door to our balcony open during the night and some mosquitoes sneaked in and buzzed us. So we got up around 6:30 and lazed around until it was time to eat.

Then it was off to our ride to Cap de Formentor. This was a fabulous ride with several climbs and decents through forests and along high cliffs overlooking the sea. There was even a tunnel to go through where I freaked out. I couldn't see the road surface until a car came up behind me with its lights on. I felt like I was riding blindfolded. It was worth it, though. The views were amazing.

When I reached the top, there were several other cyclists there and more coming. Many nationalities. Apparently, this destination is a rite of passage for cyclists.

The ride back was on the same route. Because the morning was getting later, there were lots of cars, buses and even more cyclists on the road. All the drivers were courteous and patient. Going downhill through the tunnel was much easier.

Bill was back from his ride when I reached the hotel so he and I went to lunch together. I had a good pasta carbinerra was filled me up until happy hour. No mid-day snacks.

To top off the day, we found a small restaurant on the town square where we had some good pizza.

Off to bed around 10.

Daily statistics:
Max speed - 34.6
Time - 2:15
Average speed - 10.8
Miles - 24
Elevation - 2800

No comments: