Saturday, May 5, 2007

Mallorca Day 5


Saturday, May 5 - It was moving day again today. After our English breakfast buffet (did I mention that the hotel was filled with Brits?) we packed up the van and headed out on our bicycles. Some of us decided to do a longer route combining one of yesterday's options with today's longer option. We started by doing a flat ride to Cala Sant Vincenc. This is a small village on the sea that looks like it is supported by the tourist trade. We then went back along part of the same road and continued on today's route. I stopped to take pictures and lost the group I was riding with. This was OK because I could do the things that I wanted to do like poke around the small, picturesque town of Pollensa. I was sure happy to have my GPS on. It was able to reroute me several times so that I could get back on route.

The next part of the ride was hilly. We passed through forests and craggy, limestone hills over at least four summits. At the last summit, I stopped at a gas station/restaurant for lunch - a meat pie, a banana and my annual coke. The outdoor seating area was filled with dozens of cyclists.

I continued on downhill on very poor surface to our agri-hotel called Monnaber Nou. It looks like an old estate with several acres of olive trees. We have a huge room with a separate kitchen. There are pools, spas and many other features including wireless internet. After everyone arrived, we had a huge thunder storm with hail and heavy rain for about 15 minutes.

After happy hour we had dinner here. I had asparagus with a truffle sauce, hake and almond cake with almond ice cream. The first two things were very bland but the cake and ice cream were good.

Daily statistics:
Max speed - 31.3
Time - 3:21
Average speed - 11.8
Miles - 40
Elevation - 2760

No comments: