Thursday, September 6, 2012

Day 3 – Washington Pass

photo

This was our epic ride day. We rode to the summit of Washington Pass. Then we turned around and rode back. A lot of our group started in Mazama which cut 28 miles from the ride. I, of course,  started at the inn. No 28 miles will stop me even if the temperature is in the 80s.

It was a nice ride, though. The weather was mostly cool. It heated up as I got nearer to Winthrop on the way back. The pass is as spectacular as ever. It’s one of my favorites. I stopped a couple of times on the way up for snacks. The last stop was where Terry was camped out at Lone Fir campground. She had cookies for us. The peanut butter  helped push me to the top.

At the summit, I walked out to the observation area. That’s where my photo was taken by a Canadian with my iPhone. After the appropriate amount of time there, I got on my bicycle and screamed down the road to the campground where Terry had sandwiches and more cookies waiting for us. This was around 1:00.

After eating and resting, I coasted back down the hill and pedaled back to Winthrop. It was still nice and cool in the trees. But when the trees disappeared near Mazama, it heated up.

I had visions of stopping at the Old Schoolhouse for a pint when I reached Winthrop, but I was too tired. So I went directly to our inn.

At Happy Hour, Terry invited the woman who owns the local bicycle shop. She was very friendly and knowledgeable and answered all of our questions about bicycles and components. Apparently her shop is very well-known with people from both Eastern and Western Washington using it.

As on my ride today, I was a solo at dinner at Three Fingered Jacks. I had pasta and porter.

Here is today’s ride:

No comments: