Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Lost River

We left the Mazama store after lunch. It was around noon.  Because the light on the road was flat, I almost missed it. But at the last moment I saw the trail of blood. It was on the shoulder of Highway 20 next to the guardrail near the ranch of one on Terry’s friends. It was a thin trial, no wider than a bicycle tread. It extended for 10 feet. When we reached the end we expected to see the bear lying dead at the side of the road. Being a perfect day, we were glad that it was gone. Probably butchered and in one of the local’s freezer. That was the excitement from today’s ride in the Methow Valley.

I left our hotel shortly after 9:00. Some other riders were also getting ready to ride. I followed a tandem out of our parking lot and through downtown Winthrop until I felt confident that I could find my way by myself. I accelerated past my new friends and pedaled up Highway 20 and turned on Goat Creek Rd. At the Mazama store, the road became Lost River Rd. I continued along this road past Beyond Lost until the road turned to dirt. Then I turned around and retraced my route.

I stopped at the Mazama Store for a sandwich, chips and iced coffee. It was here that I met up with Terry our ride leader and long-time resident of Winthrop. And it was just past here that we looked for the bear that was road kill from the day before.

Terry and I road back to Winthrop together. She is a superb source of local history. This is partly because she has created some of its history. She is defiantly a town leader, and icon of the Methow Valley.

When we reach the outskirts of Winthrop, we stopped at the excellent local bicycle shop. Terry introduced me to the staff and all of the people who walked in. I was looking to a route sheet clip that I forgot to bring with me. They didn’t have one so I am going to improvise tomorrow.

I got back to the Chewuch Inn around 1:30. After cleaning up, I lounged for a while then walked into town for ice cream. The next time I go there, I will order only one scoop. My double scoop of home made coffee and pumpkin was too large, even after a good day’s ride.

I had fish and chips with a good IPA at the Old Schoolhouse Brewery tonight. It was a good dinner.

Here is today’s ride:

No comments: