Thursday, February 19, 2015

Harihari To Fox Glacier


We were under attack by Harihari mosquitoes last night. I finally put in my ear plugs so I wouldn't hear them and told them to have at it. I needed sleep and didn't  care about bites. Ann had one bite. I had none. This morning I discovered that everyone else had the same problem. Such is life.

Breakfast was at a café next to the motel. Bacon and eggs with good coffee.

The ride started with cool temperatures and a little fog that was lifting. You can see from the photo above that it cleared enough to see the mountains in the distance. The ride was mostly flat until I reached 66kms. Before that, I stopped once in a café in Whataroa for a muffin and a long black coffee and again in Franz Joseph in a café for a sandwich. I passed and was passed by several people in our group. I also rode for a while with a man from Bologna, Italy. His English was minimal as was my Italian, so we didn't talk much. Because his bicycle was fully loaded and heavy, I soon eased away from him.

Here are some more photos that I took along the way.



After my second stop, it was time for some serious cycling. I had to climb three major, steep hills before a nice descent into the town of Fox Glacier. On the way, there was a short, light shower. 

We are staying in a Top 10 Holiday Park. This is a chain somewhat like KOA except that it has cabins. Internet is costly so this blog won't be posted until I get a free connection later.

A few of us piled into the van and Asbjorn drove us short distance to see the Fox Glacier. From the parking lot, we took a long uphill path to the viewing spot. Fox Glacier is the only glacier in the world that flows directly into a rain forest. (I just discovered that we have been riding through a rain forest). The face of the glacier is not too impressive. I suspect that one of the many available helicopter rides that are for sale would get a more complete view.


Back in town, we had our regular social hour. Then we went to dinner in the main town area. Ann had a lamb burger while I had venison. We are now back in our cabin and ready to wrap it up for the day.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bobby, when you say Internet is expensive what exactly do you mean?