Saturday, February 21, 2015

Makarora To Cardeona

Greg Fowler, Kathe Fowler and Sheila Coe alongside Lake Wanaka

The fog kept the temperature down to the low 40s before the sun rose high enough to breach the mountains as we rode along Lake Wanaka. The rain forest was behind us. We began to see brown hills. When we reached our first summit, the sun was shining brightly along Lake Hawea.


I encountered lots of rollers, some of them steep, while riding next to the lakes. When I reached the end of Lake Hawea near the town of Wanaka, I found myself in the middle of an international triathlon. All of the racers were on the bicycling phase and were riding toward me. After a while, I reached an intersection where they were riding in the same direction. They all passed me. I did, however, go through their feeding zone where course volunteers were handing out food and drinks. I didn't take any, but I enjoyed the spectators who clapped for me and offered encouragement. David Williams, our co-ride director had a son doing the half triathlon. He was able to greet him at the finish.

I rode solo all day and reached our hotel around 12:30.

Here is a link to today's ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/258168189

 Our hotel looks like something out of the Wild West.


We have a room at the overflow hotel just up the street. It's new and modern, not like the rooms that half of our group are staying in at the old hotel. Because I only ate some snacks on the road, I had lunch of bangers and mash. The bangers were made with lamb and were very tasty. 

Our social hour was outside in a picnic area. Dinner was also outside on the hotel's lawn at picnic tables. Ann had salmon cakes and I had lamb chops. We both drink Guiness draughts. We had entertaining conversations with Greg and Kathe Fowler, Sheila Coe and Michael Blake.

It's getting late, so I am shutting down for the day.




No comments: