Sunday, April 11, 2010

20100411 – Pacifica to Santa Cruz

As expected, we awoke to the start of a strong southwestern storm. Anticipating this, the Sterlings hired a bus to transport our bicycles and us to Santa Cruz. So, we got to sleep in, eat a leisurely breakfast and get onto the 40-passenger bus at 10:00. The ride to Santa Cruz was 60+ miles and we went via the coastal route so that the non-local people in our group could see the Pacific in its fury. As we drove south, the storm picked up. Huge waves were breaking over the rocks and their spray was blown high. It was quite a sight.

We drove over Devil’s Slide and could see where the tunnel is being dug. Both portals are in place and there is a lot of construction equipment at both ends.  As we drove past Pescadero where I planned to have lunch, I regretted having to ride on the bus instead stopping for artichoke bread and other goodies.

We got to Santa Cruz and the Best Western All Suite Inn before noon. It was raining here but not too hard. We got the bicycles and luggage unloaded and stored in a large room next to the lobby. Our rooms weren’t ready yet so we split up – some of us going to lunch and some sitting in front of the big screen TV in the lobby watching The Masters.

I had lunch at a Thai restaurant with Bruce Schweitzer. He had pad thai which he rated C-. I had satay and a salad with a peanut sauce dressing. It was B+.

Bruce left to get a foot massage while I headed back to the hotel in a driving rain storm. My room wasn’t ready, so I joined the group watching The Masters. My room was ready at 3:15. It is large, but it’s not a suite. My window looks out onto an air space to the next building.

We had our regular Social Hour at 5:30. We were joined by a new couple from Pleasanton. They delayed joining us because of the Cinderella (I feel guilty).

For dinner, I was joined by Chris, Pat, Peter, Howard, Darrel and Ruth for a noisy but fun meal at an Italian restaurant across the street from the hotel. It served pizza, pasta and other entrees amid disco lights and music. There was a large table of families celebrating one of their children’s birthday. The very young kids got up and danced to the disco music.

It’s now 8:30. I am ready to go to bed and read for a while.

No comments: