Friday, April 16, 2010

Morro Bay to Santa Maria

Breakfast was at 7:30. I awoke hungry, as usual, so I loaded up on juice, cereal, a hard boiled egg, pastries and coffee. The breakfast room off of the motel’s lobby was small and cramped with little round tables close together. I had to hold my elbows in. It met my objectives – fuel.

I left around 8:50. The sun was out, it was a little cool and the wind was at my back. I wore arm and leg warmers and a light jacket.

Our route took us along the coast for a short distance. Then we cut inland going toward San Luis Obispo on a beautiful, quiet country road. After we got onto another main road, there was lots more traffic. The shoulder was wide so safety was not an issue.

We skimmed the western fringe of San Luis Obispo and headed back to the ocean at Pismo Beach. I stopped at the northern edge of town when I spotted a grocery with its fruit displayed outside its front door. It looked very European. I bought a sandwich, chips, a banana and a blueberry scone. I ate the scone and packed the rest.

After Oceano, I headed inland again. This was on Hwy 1. I recognized a lot of the route from other trips. I didn’t recognize the dogs that tried to stop and heard me into their yard. One of them was pretty aggressive and I had to get off of my bicycle and shoo him away. I continued on to Guadalupe where I stopped at a covered bus bench and broke out my lunch. When I looked at my tuna sandwich, I realized that it was a big piece of real tuna, nut tuna salad. It was really good on focaccia bread.

After eating, I continued on the last 15 miles into Santa Maria  with a strong tail wind. I arrived around 1:40. Here is a link to today's route.

We are staying at the historic Santa Maria Inn.

Dinner was at Shaw’s Steakhouse and Tavern. We went there because I found out that Santa Maria has world famous BBQ. We had to wait for a while for our table of 15, but we got in and had a good meal. I had beef ribs. I don’t need beef ribs again for another six months. It was a long, but fun dinner.

It’s now almost 10:00, so I’m shutting down.

No comments: