Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ragged Point to Morro Bay

Breakfast wasn’t until 8:00 so we all got to sleep in. I set my alarm for 7:00, but I woke up way before that. I fiddled with my thermostat and got the fireplace to light and my room started to warm up.

I met everyone else at breakfast right as it opened. I usually don;t order eggs, but today I had scrambled eggs with bacon, potatoes and a blueberry muffin. The eggs were way too hard but the bacon was good.

I started out at 9:15 turning south on Hwy 1. The sun was out and it was much warmer than our start from Big Sur the day before. I stopped twice to take photos of elephant seals.

IMGP0098 IMGP0101

While I was stopped at the elephant seal watching place, I noticed that one of my bicycle’s S&S couplers was loose. When I tightened it, most of my shifting problems that plagued me for the last few days went away. I’m going to make a bike check each day to make sure my bicycle is ride worthy.

My next stop was in Cambria where I snacked on a scone and bought a sandwich to go. It was only around 10:30, so I wasn’t ready to each lunch.

IMGP0103 Our route took us through town so we got to see all of the sights in Cambria. On the way out of town, I took an optional route out and over Santa Rosa Creek Road. Jeff will remember this road from one of our Great Western Bicycle Rally routes. It is a gradual climb on a country road along the Santa Rosa Creek. After about 10 miles, the grade picks up. Then it picks up again with some very steep pitches. You have to stand up and pedal with your weight over the handlebars or else your front wheel will lift up and leave the pavement.

When I reached Hwy 46, I crossed it and descended Old Creek Road and continued on the normal route. I ate part of my lunch at the top of Old Creek Road and the rest of it when I got to my room at the Best Western Inn in Morro Bay. I arrived at 2:40.

It was a nice riding day. The sun stayed out and it was warm enough inland to shed my arm and leg warmers. The winds on the coast continued to be from the WNW which gave us a good tailwind.

I had dinner tonight with Peter. We both had seafood linguine. It had clams and mussels in it. I hope history doesn’t repeat itself.

Here’s a link to today's route.

No comments: