Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Monterey to Big Sur

IMGP0066 This was eye candy day. Our route went along the ocean all day. We followed the bicycle path through Monterey and then followed the shore through Pacific Grove. Then we rode along the incredible 17 Mile Drive past dozens of ocean vistas with crashing waves. We heard seals and sea lions along with hundreds of birds. I stopped at a deli in Pebble Beach to get a snack (a huge muffin) and a lunch to go (egg salad sandwich, chips and a banana. Other from our group stopped there too.

IMGP0083 We then rode on past multi-million dollar houses to the Carmel Gate. We wound our way through Carmel along the coast. The houses were smaller and closer together, but they all had magnificent views of the ocean.

Once we got to Hwy 1, we followed it up and down all the way to Big Sur. Traffic was sparse and I felt safe even were the shoulders disappeared.

Our Big Sur Lodge is away from the ocean in a heavily wooded area. We are in cabin-like room that are very comfortable. I have no fireplace today.

I started out before 9:00 and arrived at the lodge before 2:00. I took my time, stopping several times for photos and to look at the scenery. The temperature was cool to warm. There were some clouds but not many. Winds were mostly at our back coming from the WNW. This was the opposite direction from yesterday.

It’s now after 9:00. I just got back from a very filling dinner at the lodge. I had a salad with beets, trout that was baked with a cheese crust, and chocolate mousse cake. I’m going to struggle up the first hill tomorrow.

1 comment:

Dick's Bike Touring said...

Hi Bob
I was following a women doing a perimeter ride around the US on a recumbent bike. She was posting on
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=RrzKj&page_id=143309&v=4O. She had mentioned she saw cyclist going south to Big Sur while she was going North. When I went to your blog, I realized that it was your group going south that had passed her. Hope your having a great trip. Really enjoy following your adventures. Dick Caron