Saturday, July 10, 2010

BAC Seattle to San Francisco

20100710 – Garibaldi to Lincoln City, OR

I was up at 6:00. The crew wanted to get an early start because of today’s distance. Rich arranged to have the breakfast buffet start at 6:00 because of this. The buffet had scrambled eggs, potatoes, waffles and everything else that Oregon motels have. I was hungry when I got there but I couldn’t eat very much.

I packed up and left the motel at 8:00. There was high fog and the temperature was in the 50s. Being Saturday morning, traffic was very light. We went south to Tillamook and then got off of US 101 onto the Three Capes Scenic Route. This route took us along harbors, bays and capes. It was very scenic except we were not 100_6718 next to the ocean. There were a couple of steep climbs along the way. On the descent of the steepest climb, we came upon sand dunes in the middle of the forest. I stopped to take photos and to eat my PB&J sandwich. Betty and Ben were there having a snack and a rest. Two young men on loaded touring bicycles also stopped. They were from Ireland and were doing a ride from Vancouver, BC, to San Francisco.

We got back onto US 101 just past Pacific City and stayed there until we reached Neskowin. Then we turned onto Slab Creek Road which is also old US 101. It was a 5-mile ascent along a creek and through a beautiful old growth forest. Then it was a 5-mile descent down to Otis where most of us stopped at the world famous Otis Cafe for pie and other things. I had a piece of delicious strawberry rhubarb pie with two scoops of vanilla ice cream. This place was highly recommended by Bill Kiess who had been there before. I sat with Bill along with Ken and Martha Neville. Bill had a BLT along with his strawberry rhubarb pie with two scoops of vanilla ice cream. Ken had an apple crisp with chocolate ice cream and a bowl of chowder. He split them with Martha.

Our remaining six miles into Lincoln City was a breeze. There was lots of backed up traffic from the weekend beach goers. We gleefully rode past them and got to The Coho Ocean Front Lodge around 3:15.

Here is a link to today's route.

100_6720 The lodge is on a bluff above the beach. Our rooms all have windows looking out to the Pacific Ocean. I have my windows open. I can hear the pounding surf, children playing on the beach and fighting kites roaring in the wind.

Happy Hour was at 5:00. As a special treat, Rich bought several pies at the Otis Cafe and served them to us. This time I had the apple crisp with no ice cream. It went well with my syrah.

I wandered alone to dinner at a Thai restaurant . I had pork sa tay and shrimp pad thai. The servings were huge and I couldn’t eat it all. I passed my unfinished sa tay to a table of my fellow riders who came in after I did.

It’s now approaching 8:00. I’m going to lie down and read while I listen to the surf.

No comments: