Sunday, July 18, 2010

BAC Seattle to San Francisco

July 18, Ferndale Rest Day

100_6788

Breakfast was part of our room rate. We ate at the Victorian Inn. I had juice, eggs, potatoes, toast and coffee.

100_6767Because I have been gone for two weeks, I decided to go to the laundromat and do some clothes washing. I had been hand washing my cycling clothes every day after my ride, but they needed something more thorough. My PJs were getting a bit odiferous too. It became a social scene with about half of our group there. If you are wondering, there is no motel there.

I went back my room and worked on my website. Shortly after noon, I got hungry and went to the Main Street Cafe for lunch. I had the sandwich of the day – turkey and cream cheese on toasted raisin bread. It sounded awful but it was really good. For dessert, I decided on the chocolate orange mousse. It was almost more than I could eat.

100_6781Jeff suggested that I visit one of the main attractions in Ferndale – the Kinetic Race Museum. This is a three-day fun race from Arcata to Ferndale using human powered vehicles. It goes on roads, through fields and through water to get here. Here is a slide show of photos that I took in the museum.

Ferndale is an old town whose foundation was built from the dairy business in the lat 19th century up to now. The Dutch settled here first. Later the Portuguese arrived. The town was prosperous and many Victorian buildings were built. A lot of the buildings were constructed with redwood. They have survived several earthquakes. The cows have survived too. This area was where the “contented cows” commercials were filmed. I walked through the town and took lots of photos of the buildings. Here is a link to a slide show of the buildings.

We had a Happy Hour and then dinner. I ate at the Victorian Inn with Julie, Dick, Sue, Linda, Ben and Laura. I had a hamburger with sweet potato fries and a crème brûlée for dessert.

It’s now after 9:00. If my crème brûlée settles soon, I’ll turn in for the night.

No comments: