Saturday, July 17, 2010

BAC Seattle to San Francisco

July 17 – Orick to Ferndale, CA

I was up at 6:00. I enjoyed eggs, hash browns, toast and coffee at the motel’s cafe with the Nevilles, Julie and Rich. After fussing around for a while, I put my bags in the trailer and was on the road just before 8:00. I was last.

The weather was cool with light fog as I headed down US 101. Being early Saturday morning, traffic was light. I liked that because the shoulders on  the highway were pretty bad.

The route took us off of US 101 on Patrick Point Drive. It was here that I began another nostalgia trip. About 60 years ago, my family drove along this stretch of highway in an old Buick towing a travel trailer. We stayed overnight at Patrick Point State Park. I remembered that my sister and I loved the park. It was nestled in the redwoods and had good beach access. We had great fun exploring everything. When we left in the morning, the old Buick had some trouble getting up the hill at the highway and dropped the rear end. I don’t know what that means, but I do know that we were towed to Trinidad and spent a few days in the trailer on a bluff overlooking the ocean. My mother hated it because it was so windy.

I rode past the park and stopped in Trinidad. I didn’t find where we sat on the bluff 60 years ago, but I did find a good coffee shop and had a blueberry scone and a cup of coffee. I talked to a couple of locals who told me the best route to take on the way south. Fortunately, it was our planned route. When I left the coffee shop, there was a lineup of cyclists ready to leave on a charity ride. I passed them and the starter warned them not to follow me. He was the same guy that suggested the safe route.

100_6765 The route took me down Trinidad Scenic Drive which turned to gravel from time to time. Then it was a series of farm roads and bicycle trails all the way into Arcata. I passed Humboldt State College somewhere along the way. Then it was a short stretch on US 101 until the outskirts of Eureka. I wound around Eureka until I came upon the old part of town where I stopped at The Carson Mansion. I met Julie, Rich, Ben and the Nevilles there. This is where I ate my PB&J lunch.

 

 

100_6766 I stopped at a little bakery down the road to use its facilities and met one of the local Humboldt characters and his antler bicycle. This man has been travelling throughout the country on his bicycle starting in Boston and ending up in Eureka. He said that he is going to Big Sur next.

My next stop was in Fernbridge at a fruit stand where I bought some white nectarines. I finally arrived at the Redwood Suites around 2:30.

Here is a link to today's route.

My room is in an older motel that has been updated. The decor is comfortable with modern oak furniture. Some of our group are staying across the street at the Victorian Inn.

At our Happy Hour, the owner of the two properties gave us a short history lesson of the area. Afterwards, I ate at the Inn’s tavern having Mac and Cheese made with Loleta cheese.

It is closing in on 8:00. I’m starting to shut down for the night. I am planning to get up in the morning a do my laundry right after breakfast. After that, who knows.

No comments: