Monday, July 19, 2010

BAC Seattle to San Francisco

July 19 – Ferndale to Garberville, CA

I was sorry to say good bye to the Victorian Inn and Redwood Suites this morning. It was a perfect rest day yesterday. The hospitality at VI was wonderful.

I left around 8:00 after eating granola with yogurt and berries for breakfast. I am going to try that combination at home when I get back. I rode out of town with Julie and Rich. Our little group broke apart after we hit some steep rollers and I found myself riding alone. We were riding past dairy farms and saw lots of contented cows. They talked to Julie.

We got onto US 101 at Scotia. This is a company town developed by the controversial Pacific Lumber Company and was once named Forestville.

100_6798

After 5 miles, we turned off of US 101 and onto the Avenue of the Giants – one of the major highlights of the tour. We rode 30+ miles on this parkway under a canopy of huge redwood trees. There was very little traffic and the shade of the trees kept the temperature down. We passed through the towns of Redcrest, Myers Flat (home of the drive-through tree) and Phillipsville where I stopped to eat my PB&J sandwich.

I reached Garberville and the Humboldt Redwood Inn shortly after 1:00.

Here is a link to today's route.

We had a Happy Hour. Then some of us went down the street to Cecil’s for dinner. I was happy with a club sandwich, Fritos and an IPA.

It is nearing 8:00. I am going to waste some time before I get ready for bed. I’ll probably read, watch the Tour……

No comments: