Thursday, July 15, 2010

BAC Seattle to San Francisco

20100715 – Port Orford to Brookings, OR

I was up early, packed my bags, loaded them into the trailer and backtracked into town to have breakfast at the Paradise Cafe. Eggs, hash browns, bacon, toast and coffee got me ready for the day. George and Ed Chambers joined me. We enjoyed watching the locals – mostly old men. We figured that the cafe would lose money if it offered senior discounts.

I started pedaling at 8:40 with cool temperatures and a nice tail wind. I rode along US 101 for about 15 miles then turned east onto Cedar Valley Road. This gave us a nice bypass to the main highway. The road weaved along a creek in lightly forested land. It eventually left the creek and returned west to the ocean at Gold Beach.

After Gold Beach, I continued on US 101 until I reached Brookings and The Best Western Beachfront Inn. I got in after 2:00.

Here is a link to today's route.

100_6748

This is a real nice hotel. I have a ground floor room with a small terrace that is 30 feet from the beach. I can see and hear the surf through the window to my terrace. The surf is brilliantly blue.

After Happy Hour, I walked to a restaurant the won the best chowder award in 2009. Unfortunately it was closed. So I turned around and went into a restaurant that the hotel recommended. It was not good.

I am back in my room. It’s approaching 9:00. I’m wrapping it up for the night.

No comments: